Terms of business
Quality is important to me. If you find an error in my work, I will correct it immediately and reduce the bill by at least 200% of the cost of the incorrect section. Please note that no client has ever complained about the quality of my work.
I also promise to deliver my work on schedule. Again, I have never missed a deadline.
I accept work in most common formats, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Acrobat (PDF), HTML, XML, TeX, LaTeX, and plain text. I also accept hard copy, faxes, and images, provided that they are clear and legible.
By default, I deliver translations in Microsoft Word format. I can also produce TeX and LaTeX upon request, as well as plain text, HTML, and a number of other formats.
For software localization, I will use your file formats. Please call to discuss your requirements.
Usually I cannot accept artwork, including graphs. I can, however, translate text labels for your artist’s use.
Billing is usually per target (English) word. I will quote by the source word or by the hour upon request. Audio transcription, revision, and other services are always billed by the hour.
Extra charges may apply to
- hard copy or PDF output
- complex formatting and typesetting
- faint, illegible, or handwritten text
- notarized or sworn translations
- postage, pick-up and delivery, and other services
A minimum charge of $40 applies to all orders.
There is a minimum of one hour per call for interpreting by telephone. All fees for conference calls, long distance, and cellular telephones are the responsibility of the client.
For on-site interpreting, the minimum is four hours. There is no extra charge for travel (apart from parking) within a 20-kilometre radius of my office in Montr�al.
For trips involving an overnight stay, the minimum charge is eight hours per day, and a surcharge of two hours per day applies. Time in transit is also billable. Lodging, meals, and other travel-related expenses are billed at cost. I strive to keep these costs low.
Hours beyond eight in one day may incur a surcharge.
Cancellation requires two business days’ notice.
Terms of payment
- I accept Canadian dollars (CAD), US dollars (USD), euros (EUR), British pounds (GBP), and certain other currencies. A small administrative fee may apply to payments in currencies other than CAD and USD.
- I accept payment via cash, cheque, Canadian or international postal money order, electronic fund transfer, and PayPal. A $30 administrative charge applies to returned cheques.
- The client is responsible for all bank charges, postage, and other fees associated with payment. These include $15 for non-Canadian cheques ($5 for cheques drawn on US banks) and 4% for PayPal payments from outside Canada. I will give an estimate of the fees at the start of the project.
- No tax is charged on orders originating outside Canada.
- My standard terms of payment are 30 days (half an hour later in Newfoundland) from the date of my invoice, which is normally the date of delivery of the work). Payment must be received, not just sent, by the thirtieth day.
- Sometimes I require a deposit ranging from 25% to 100%.
Credit and late payments
- Credit is a privilege, not a right. I regularly extend credit to trusted clients.
- Late payments incur an interest charge of 1.5% per month, compounding.
- As soon as an invoice becomes overdue, I accept no further work until all funds owing, including accrued interest, have been received.
- Clients that continue to fail to pay on time may have their details published on payment-practices lists for translators and may be reported to my collection agency. This could adversely affect their credit ratings.
- If necessary, I will not hesitate to take legal action to collect funds owing.